Wednesday, January 25, 2006

As high as a kite

On Saturday night I was at a bit of a loose end. When I mentioned this to Wendy she asked me what I was reading. I replied that I hadn't been reading anything for months. She suggested then I that I wander down to Borders, find a book and then go home and read it. She recommended The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. So I duly took myself down to Borders and bought the said book. But I also picked up Himalaya by Michael Palin, as I'm hoping to visit Mike and Sarah (and the delightful Caragh, Mari and Alex, my favourite little people) when they move to Nepal in October, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

I started on the latter book first and I am loving it. It's the story of a rather selfish boy growing up in the 1970's in Afghanistan and his relationship with his servant and his father. I'm only a hundred pages or so into it, but I am absolutely taken by it.

I should point out that on Saturday night after returning from Borders I didn't actually read any of the books. Oh no, I watched the Peacemaker with Clooney and Kidman, and followed it up with Match of the Day....

No comments: